Thursday, June 26, 2008

Minnesota Yurt


My friend Barb and I had a lovely dinner last night at Red Cedar and she filled me in on her plans to visit Earthrise Farm in Madison, MN. Earthrise is an organic community supported agriculture (CSA - subscription farm) run by Kay and Annette Fernholz School Sisters of Notre Dame on their 240 acre family farm. Kay and Annette are also bio sisters and returned to the family farm in 1996 to develop a CSA to use it as part of a spiritual 'green' ministry. They do an amazing job and are part of a thriving local food and artisan culture in western Minnesota. I used to take my students there for field trips. They have a small building on the farm called the Rachel Carson house where they prepare meals for guests and provide environmental education. They also have a 'yurt' on the property for overnight lodging. Barb is going to stay in the yurt and do a little farm work for a little R&R next week. I look forward to her interpretation of the experience. You can learn more about CSA's or Kay and Annette at their web site: http://www.earthrisefarmfoundation.org/index.html

No comments: